UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif. & SEATTLE, May 23, 2005. Universal Studios, one of the world's largest media and entertainment companies, and Getty Images, Inc. (NYSE: GYI - News), the world's leading provider of still and moving imagery, today announced that footage from Universal Studios Film Library is now available for licensing exclusively at www.gettyimages.com/universalstudios.
Creative and production professionals now have immediate online access to extraordinary footage from such acclaimed films as The Bourne Identity, Field of Dreams, Backdraft, Apollo 13 and The Mummy. The wealth of subject matter - all shot on 35mm or Super 35mm and transferred from the original camera negative to High Definition - includes fire, explosions, stunts and special effects, along with popular categories such as nature, military, and business. Universal Studios is the first major motion picture studio to have its footage searchable via its own "front door" on a leading imagery site.
"Universal has entered into this dynamic partnership with Getty Images because of the innovation they've brought to the industry via their powerful platform and proven business model," said Michael Daruty, Senior Vice President, Technical Operations, Universal Studios Operations Group. "Outsourcing the digitization and licensing of our footage with Getty Images assures the quickest search and ease of use possible. We look forward to being a valued partner for Getty Images as they continue to transform the way creatives work."
"Having brought some of the world's finest motion pictures to the big screen, Universal Studios offers one of the most impressive film libraries in the world and we are thrilled to welcome them as an image partner," said Karen McLaughlin, Director of Film Image Partners, Getty Images. "Our customers will benefit tremendously from the extraordinary production value of Universal's content and we are confident that the diversity of the collection will inspire exciting creative work. This alliance represents a significant step forward in the strategic development of Getty Images film, which has grown over twenty percent for the past three consecutive quarters."
About Universal Studios
Universal Studios is part of NBC Universal, one of the world's leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news, and information to a global audience. Formed in May 2004 through the combining of NBC and Vivendi Universal Entertainment, NBC Universal owns and operates the nation's most profitable television network, a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, and world-renowned theme parks. NBC Universal is 80%-owned by General Electric, with the remaining 20% controlled by Vivendi Universal.
About Getty Images
Getty Images is the world's leading imagery company, creating and
distributing the largest and most relevant collection of still and
moving images to communication professionals around the globe and
supporting their work with asset management services. From news and
sports photography to contemporary and archival imagery, Getty Images'
products are found each day in newspapers, magazines, advertising,
films, television, books and Web sites. Gettyimages.com is the first
place customers turn to search, purchase, download and manage powerful
imagery. Seattle-headquartered Getty Images is a global company with
customers in more than 100 countries. Visit the Getty Images site at